My Doctor Who Mixtape: A guide for vintage Who newbs.
1. William Hartnell.
Recommended: ‘An Unearthly Child, The Dalek Invasion of Earth’.
2. Patrick Troughton.
Recommended: ‘The Invasion, The War Games’.
3. John Pertwee.
Recommended: ‘Spearhead from Space, The Sea Devils , Planet of the Spiders’.
4. Tom Baker.
Recommended: ‘Genesis of the Daleks, The Talons of Weng Chiang, City of Death’.
5. Peter Davison.
Recommended: ‘Earthshock, Mawdryn Undead, The Caves of Androzani’.
6. Colin Baker.
Recommended: ‘The Trial of a Time Lord’. Maybe.
7. Sylvester McCoy.
Recommended: ‘Remembrance of the Daleks, Curse of Fenric, Survival’.
8. Paul McGann.
Recommended: All the 8th Doctor Big Finish radio plays. They rock balls.
To Listen to:
- Every 8th Doctor adventure, from Storm Warning onwards. Then, all four seasons of the New Eighth Doctor Adventures. Two separate series with no crossover, with overarching plots so good your hair will bleed.
- The Big Finish monthly series is incredible, and expansive, featuring adventures with the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Doctors. Here are a handful of random adventures from other Doctors to listen to, taken from the Big Finish Monthly series. In a perfect world you’d grab them all and listen in order, but here are my favourites:
- #6: The Marian Conspiracy.
- #9: The Spectre of Lanyon Moor
- #13: The Shadow of the Scourge
- #21: Dust Breeding
- #22: Bloodtide
- #25: Colditz
…And it’s at this point that I realise how hard it is to recommend standalone stories. Go to Tardis Wiki, look up the Monthly series list, and pick a Doctor, preferably 6 or 7. Listen to their stories in order if you can.
Again, I know this is overwhelming, but follow my mixture, of sorts, and i’m fairly certain you’ll be hooked.
A bunch of my lovely followers have once again been asking which classic Doctor Who stuff to watch, and have no idea where to begin, so here’s something I made to address that very problem a little while ago. X